We recently read the play A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. Please visit the following websites in order to learn more about the play and the setting of A Christmas Carol. Read and view the materials at each site and respond to the following questions:
Question 1: How does the setting of the play A Christmas Carol influence the plot? Use details from the play and from at least two sources below to explain your answer.
Question 2: How did the everyday lives of poor people differ from the lives of wealthy people during the Victorian era? Cite evidence from at least two sources below to explain your answer.
Question 3: How did Charles Dickens’ life influence his writing? Use details from the website “Charles Dickens – An Animated Biography” to support your response.
- The Origins of A Christmas Carol
- Street Life in London in the 19th Century
- Victorian Houses and Where Victorians Lived
- Inside Victorian Houses
- Poverty and Families in the Victorian Era
- A Christmas Carol Film Trailer (1938)
- Charles Dickens – An Animated Biography
- Can You Survive Victorian London? Play this Game and Find Out!
Here’s a link to a digital copy of the play from our textbook: A Christmas Carol
Leave a comment below about one important or interesting thing you learned from reading and viewing these materials.